DUBLIN, Dec. 5, 2023 /PRNewswire/ — The “Enhanced Geothermal System Market – Global Industry Size, Share, Trends Opportunity, and Forecast 2018-2028” report has been added to ResearchAndMarkets.com’s offering.
Worldwide Enhanced Geothermal System Market Witnesses Rapid Expansion with a CAGR of 5.19% from 2022 to 2028
The global Enhanced Geothermal System (EGS) market, part of the broader geothermal energy industry, is gaining significant traction as a sustainable and low-carbon energy source. The market has been valued at USD 3.08 billion in 2022, and it is projected to experience robust growth in the forecast period with a Compound Annual Growth Rate (CAGR) of 5.19% through 2028.
EGS technology represents a revolutionary approach to harnessing the Earth’s heat for electricity generation and other applications. Unlike conventional geothermal energy, which relies on naturally occurring high-temperature rock formations, EGS engineers create artificial reservoirs deep within the Earth’s crust by injecting fluids at high pressures into boreholes, creating fractures and stimulating heat exchange with the surrounding rock.
Environmental Concerns and Renewable Energy Transition Drive Market Growth
Environmental concerns and the global transition towards renewable energy sources are key drivers propelling the EGS market’s expansion. As the world confronts the impacts of climate change and dwindling fossil fuels, cleaner and more sustainable energy solutions are imperative. EGS, with its minimal greenhouse gas emissions and renewable nature, aligns perfectly with these goals. Unlike fossil fuels, EGS produces minimal greenhouse gas emissions, contributing to a reduced carbon footprint in electricity generation.
Energy Security and Independence Boost EGS Adoption
Energy security and independence are paramount motivators for nations looking to reduce their reliance on imported fossil fuels, which can lead to economic vulnerabilities and geopolitical uncertainties. EGS provides a domestic, reliable energy source that is immune to supply disruptions and price fluctuations associated with fossil fuels. By tapping into their indigenous geothermal resources, countries can bolster their energy security, reduce trade deficits, and minimize fossil fuel dependency.
Technological Advancements and Research Investments Spur EGS Growth
Continuous technological advancements and research investments play pivotal roles in driving EGS market growth. Research and development efforts have significantly enhanced the efficiency and cost-effectiveness of EGS systems, resulting in improved drilling techniques, reservoir engineering, and heat exchange technologies. These innovations have expanded the feasibility of EGS projects and made them more appealing for clean energy production.
Favorable Government Policies and Incentives Propel Market Expansion
Favorable government policies and incentives are crucial drivers of the EGS market. Many countries have implemented regulatory frameworks and financial incentives such as feed-in tariffs, tax credits, grants, and renewable energy mandates to foster EGS development. Governments recognize the importance of diversifying their energy portfolios and achieving climate goals, which often involves promoting renewable energy sources like EGS.
Baseload Power Generation Capability Enhances EGS Appeal
EGS technology’s ability to provide baseload power generation is a significant driver of its global market growth. Unlike some intermittent renewable sources, EGS offers a stable and continuous supply of electricity, ensuring uninterrupted power for industries, businesses, and households. This baseload capability is crucial for stabilizing power grids and meeting consistent energy demand.
Regional Geothermal Potential and Resource Availability Drive EGS Adoption
The availability of significant geothermal potential and resource availability in various regions serves as a driver for the global EGS market. Countries endowed with abundant geothermal resources often have a natural advantage for EGS development, incentivizing investment in EGS projects and enabling nations to capitalize on their indigenous geothermal energy.
In conclusion, the global Enhanced Geothermal System (EGS) market is thriving due to environmental concerns, energy security, technological advancements, government support, baseload power generation capabilities, and regional geothermal potential. These factors collectively facilitate the expansion of EGS technology and its contribution to the global clean energy landscape.
Government Policies are Likely to Propel the Market
- Renewable Energy Mandates and Targets: Government mandates requiring a percentage of energy generation to come from renewable sources create a stable market for EGS developers and investors.
- Feed-In Tariffs (FiTs) and Power Purchase Agreements (PPAs): FiTs and PPAs guarantee favorable prices for EGS-generated electricity, reducing risks and attracting private sector investments.
- Research and Development (R&D) Funding: Government-funded R&D programs drive innovation in EGS technology, reducing risks and attracting private investors.
- Tax Incentives and Investment Credits: Tax incentives and investment credits lower upfront costs and attract private capital, making EGS projects more financially appealing.
- Geothermal Resource Leasing and Permitting: Efficient leasing and permitting policies reduce bureaucratic delays, encouraging EGS development.
- Environmental and Emission Reduction Targets: EGS aligns with emission reduction goals, providing a clean and stable energy source for countries aiming to reduce greenhouse gas emissions.
Key Market Challenges
- Technical and Geological Complexity: EGS projects are technically challenging due to geological variability, reservoir engineering, hydraulic fracturing, and heat extraction efficiency.
- High Initial Capital Costs and Financial Risks: EGS projects require substantial upfront investments for exploration, reservoir development, infrastructure, and operational risks.
- Hot Dry Rock (HDR) Insights: The HDR segment offers abundant and widely distributed resources, high-temperature gradients, suitability for reservoir stimulation, scalability, predictable geological characteristics, and ongoing technological advancements.
- Deep Insights: The Deep segment accesses higher temperature gradients, offers efficient heat extraction, provides stability, relies on drilling advancements, boasts widespread availability, and serves high-capacity energy generation.
- North America: North America leads the EGS market due to increasing demand for renewable energy, government support, and technological advancements.
- Europe: Europe sees growth in the EGS market due to rising demand for renewable energy and initiatives like the European Green Deal.
- Asia Pacific: Asia Pacific experiences EGS market growth driven by energy demand and growing awareness of geothermal benefits.
The report covers various segments of the Enhanced Geothermal System (EGS) market, including resource types (Hot Dry Rock, Sedimentary Basin, Radiogenic, Molten Magma), depth (Shallow, Deep), simulation methods (Hydraulic, Chemical, Thermal), end-users (Residential, Commercial), and power station types (Dry Steam Power Station, Flash Steam Power Station, Binary Cycle Power Station).
Companies profiled include:
- Ormat Technologies
- AltaRock Energy
- Kenya Electricity Generating Company
- Geothermie Bouillante
- Fuji Electric
- Energy Development Corporation
For more information about this report visit https://www.researchandmarkets.com/r/5j428k
ResearchAndMarkets.com is the world’s leading source for international market research reports and market data. We provide you with the latest data on international and regional markets, key industries, the top companies, new products and the latest trends.
Research and Markets
Laura Wood, Senior Manager
For E.S.T Office Hours Call +1-917-300-0470
For U.S./CAN Toll Free Call +1-800-526-8630
For GMT Office Hours Call +353-1-416-8900
U.S. Fax: 646-607-1907
Fax (outside U.S.): +353-1-481-1716
SOURCE Research and Markets